Chakra Crystals & Color meaning
Traditionally, there are seven major chakras associated with the physical body. They are aligned with the spine and located in the base of the spine, the lower abdomen (sacral), the solar plexus, the heart, the throat, the center of the forehead (third eye), and the crown of the head. Chakras are associated with specific colors and crystals, and also govern different aspects of human emotion and behavior.
The root chakra, or Muladhara, is located at the base of your spine. It provides you with a base or foundation for life, and it helps you feel grounded and able to withstand challenges. Your root chakra is responsible for your sense of security and stability.
The sacral chakra, or Svadhisthana, is located just below your belly button. This chakra is responsible for your sexual and creative energy. It’s also linked to how you relate to your emotions as well as the emotions of others.
Solar plexus chakra
The solar plexus chakra, or Manipura, is located in your stomach area. It’s responsible for confidence and self-esteem, as well as helping you feel in control of your life.
The heart chakra, or Anahata, is located near your heart, in the center of your chest. It comes as no surprise that the heart chakra is all about our ability to love and show compassion.
The throat chakra, or Vishuddha, is located in your throat. This chakra has to do with our ability to communicate verbally.
Third eye chakra
The third eye chakra, or Ajna, is located between your eyes. You can thank this chakra for a strong gut instinct. That’s because the third eye is responsible for intuition. It’s also linked to imagination.
The crown chakra, or Sahasrara, is located at the top of your head. Your Sahasrara represents your spiritual connection to yourself, others, and the universe. It also plays a role in your life’s purpose.
In order, the colors of the seven primary colors are:
- Red – First chakra
- Orange – Second chakra
- Yellow – Third chakra
- Green – Fourth chakra
- Blue (sapphire blue or turquoise) – Fifth chakra
- Purple (or deep indigo) – Sixth chakra
- White (sometimes purplish white) – Seventh chakra
Each color reflects a type of vibration or frequency radiating through the chakras. This classic color chart is based on yogic traditions, as well as contemporary healing schools of thought. Although the exact color of each energy center may vary, there is a general agreement about a rainbow-colored representation of the chakra system.
What do chakra colors mean?
While the chakra colors reflect different frequencies of light and energy associated with each energy center, their meaning may be related to the function of its associated chakras and general symbolism. When you see or use the following colors, you could make the following associations:
- Meaning of the red chakra color: Red is the color of the root chakra (first chakra); it symbolizes safety, survival, grounding, nourishment from the Earth energy. Note that in chakra healing practices, red may denote inflammation at the physical level.
- Meaning of the orange chakra color: Orange is the color of the sacral chakra (second chakra); it carries meanings associated with emotions, creativity, sexuality, and is associated with water, flow.
- Meaning of the yellow chakra color: is the color of the solar plexus chakra (third chakra); it symbolizes mental activities, intellect, personal power, will.
- Meaning of the green chakra color: Green is the color of the heart chakra (fourth chakra); it is connected with love, relating, integration, compassion.
- Meaning of the blue chakra color: Blue is the color of the throat chakra (fifth chakra); it symbolizes self expression, expression of truth, creative expression, communication, perfect form and patterns.
- Meaning of the purple chakra color (or deep indigo blue): Purple (or deep indigo blue) is the color of the third eye chakra (sixth chakra); it evokes intuition, extrasensory perception, inner wisdom.
- Meaning of the white chakra color (or purple): White is the color of the crown chakra (seventh chakra); it’s associated with the universal, connection with spirituality, consciousness.
Chakra colors and healing stones
When selecting chakra healing stones, color-coding can help. Here’s a chart highlighting the major chakras colors and their corresponding stones:
Traditional Color meaning:
- Red gemstones are stimulating, and help to build vitality on the physical level.
- Blue gemstones are cooling, calming, and relaxing to the body's system.
- Yellow gemstones are stimulating, bringing joy, optimism and confidence.
- Purple gemstones are detoxifying and help to purify the body.
- Orange gemstones help to bring joy, wisdom and creativity.
- Green gemstones bring balance and growth.
- Pink gemstones are soothing.
- Indigo gemstones help with integration, purification, and altered states of consciousness.
- Violet gemstones are purifying on both physical and spiritual levels.
- Black gemstones are protective, grounding and strengthening.
- White gemstones are cleansing purifying.
- Cream gemstones are calming and relaxing
- Brown gemstones are grounding, and provide stability and support.